mercredi 14 juillet 2021

Thoughts on the µPF--2 Z80 kit dev board.

 


In fact, when I look at the system I built, even though I did it based on compatibility with the original µPF--1 kit at the time, I realize that my version looks more like a microcomputer than a development board.

https://collection.onceuponabyte.org/ident/COMP-0156


At the time, when I studied with this machine, in 1987 I think, the PC was not yet very widespread. There was no adequate development software and furthermore the µPF - 1 did not even allow program loading through a communication port.

It was therefore necessary to provide all the hardware and software functions to allow the entry of mnemonics in assemblers, live editing and correction, memory modification, program launch etc etc ...

As my kit works, in fact I realize that I am exclusively using the C language, a PC text editor, and the SDCC compiler. Then, once the program is completed, I download it directly into the µPF - 2 and start the execution. I absolutely do not use the basic functions of the system.

So I made the decision to convert this set into a modern Arduino style development system but still keep the 'retro' side thanks to the Z80 hardware emulation. The entire development process will take place through the serial port via the standard tools available for PC.

The objective is to be able to train easily and in a fun way, not only in programming, but also in interaction with the outside world and finally that real applications can be managed by this system.

Multitech IOM board

I am therefore going to develop a first interface board like the IOM original board which will allow the µPF - 2 to be autonomous, capable of loading its application program itself, launching it and of interacting with the outside world in the manner of an automat. 

Do not hesitate to send me your comments.

Best to you.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire