mercredi 3 novembre 2021

MSX OMEGA & CARNIVORE 2

The MSX OMEGA main board:

So far all I have managed to do with the OMEGA MSX board is boot to the free C-BIOS bios: 

The problem is that C-BIOS is a really minimalist bios that only allows you to start an application on a cartridge. 

Now, I find myself with two problems.

The first is that I now need to test my USB keyboard adapter on the OMEGA motherboard. However, I do not have any game cartridges. Under these conditions the system does not allow me to do anything.

As Sergey Kiselev specifies, Omega is compatible with the Sanyo PHC-23J machine. So I recreated a bios starting from the basic ROM and the extended ROM of this system. Obviously, I have no commercial rights to this ROM, but the use is strictly private and as a development resource in my case.

And voilà: 


I am now under Microsoft Basic. I will therefore be able to continue the development of my USB interface and particularly the management of signals with the OMEGA PPI.

I remember in 1988, I joined a company that still had a small microcomputer running Microsoft Basic. It was used to program the very fashionable LED display strips at the time. I had just turned on this machine and had fallen the same way directly on the Basic's screen. I don't remember if this machine was an MSX type or not. I don't remember the manufacturer either. Regardless, 33 years later, I'm here again :-)

And the question is: does the Carnivore 2 card work under this environment?

Is that enough for you as an answer?

Carnivore 2 works exactly as described in the documentation. For the moment I have not prepared a FLASH card so the list of files is empty. 

There is still a bit of work to be done before I can use my Carnivore 2 card for mass storage. Indeed, the Flash card must be prepared through the Carnivore application. Besides the fact that I will only be able to do this when my keyboard interface is working, it seems that some files must also be installed on the Flash card (auto-start mode). I don't know if this is absolutely necessary but whatever. This procedure can only be done through a floppy disk drive. I now need to acquire a floppy interface to complete my system.

It's really nice to see this system come to life step by step.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire